In order to build a team spirit, the following five factors are essential:
- Open communication
- Clear roles and responsibilities
- An effective leader
- A reward and accountability system for both individual team members and the entire team.
For effective leadership, check the following list. Try to do every item:
- Set clear goals for each team member and the team.
- Give clear directions for those who need it.
- Share examples and experiences of your personal successes and mistakes in order to relate to the team.
- Emphasize the positive rather than the negative in your talks with your team.
- Give continual feedback to each team member and to the team —— both positive and constructive.
- Use small successes to build team cohesiveness.
- Practice what you say.
- Express your and the organization’s appreciation through rewards, if available.
- Develop a constructive relationship——both you and the team are working together toward the same goals.
- Make change happen for the better by encouraging creativity and innovation.
- Encourage self-reliance and self-development.
- Encourage team members to express their views during conflict and share yours with them.
- Have your team see its connection to the larger organization and to customers and / or the community.